Sunday, April 10, 2016

Opening up to possibility when you feel paralyzed


Publicly, and even with good friends, I laugh off my paralysis about making big decisions.  "I can over-think anything."  I pretend, without saying so explicitly, that my discomfort with big decisions is just the shadow side of being smart.  I think too much.

Well, THAT'S obnoxious.  This psychological deflection is because I am avoiding harder truths, but it's still obnoxious.

So I am publicly admitting that I do this rude thing and that I will stop.

For the rest of this reflection to make sense, you need to know a bit of the back story.  I stayed in a marriage that was abusive and emotionally crippling.  At first, I was afraid of what might be on the other side of ending the marriage; uncertainty kept me there.  Eventually, though, the abuse worked.  I was grateful to be in that dark marriage because I believed he was right about me.  I was entirely certain that I couldn't survive on the other side.  The thing about walking that path with an abuser is that he needs a strong opponent to feel strong himself.  Once I was no longer strong, I was used up.  Being discarded was inevitable.  And I lied about it - to myself and everyone else.  I spun a tale - quite an effective one, as it happens- that we were happy and healthy and having fun.  I desperately needed that to be the story.

I have feared big decisions and uncertainty for a long time -possibly always-  and apparently to the point where I will hide behind untruths to avoid confronting them.  Who is this crazy woman??  And of course, that fear led straight to the heap of woe that doesn't take a rocket scientist to predict.  Had he not left me, I would still be in that marriage, I am quite sure of it.  Generous, loving friends have tried to reframe what I did as loyalty.  I stayed because I am fundamentally a good person, the story goes.  Thank you, dear ones.  I love that you see me that way, but I stayed because I was paralyzed by uncertainty and fear.

Obviously then, there is no lack of evidence that paralysis rooted in uncertainty does not serve me.  And yet.... I am doing it again, and this time without the excuse of an abuser in my life.  This time, it's on me.  There is a nagging feeling and mounting external evidence that it's time for me to make more life changes, and I'm resisting.  Who's surprised?  This time, though, I have the advantage of knowing that I can survive disruption.  It took lots of people lots of effort, true enough, to get me through that first disruption.  But eventually I was strong enough to take over the work myself.  We're here now, and it's better than "there" ever was.

I also know a little about how I got through that disruption; I now have a skillset of a sort.  I took baby steps.  Absurdly small steps sometimes.  But forward motion is forward motion; even small steps set a trajectory.  My job right now is just to take a step forward, not to have all the answers.  Nine years ago, I could not have envisioned this marvelous life I now have.  Literally, I did not have the tools to even imagine the changes I have experienced.  I knew barely enough to take baby steps away from terror and pain.  This time,  all I have to do is take steps from the marvelous vaguely toward the more marvelous.  Even I - fearing uncertainty as I do- understand that this moves takes less courage than the first one.  Baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment