Thursday, November 9, 2017

Leave the Light on.... for myself when I come home

It's a song.... but it's something I'm trying to remember


My house can feel more like a pit stop than a home.  It's lost its grace and warmth and welcome, and it stresses me out to be here.  What's worse, is that it looks kind of scary.  I noticed this morning.  I walk with the dog very early in the morning, while it's still dark.  In the dark, the human eye can not register color.   So, all I could see of my house was the shape, the windows, and the trees and plants in silhouette.  It sits rather far forward on the lot, which made it seem not just dark, but looming.  And the image made me think of a witch's house, and not in a comforting earth-mother-witch sort of way. 

I don't want to live in THAT house.  I want to live in a graceful, welcoming, warm house.  A house with soft edges, if you will.  So, even though it's not the most environmentally friendly decision, I'm making some changes around here.  I'm going to leave some lights on for myself.  A friend sent me a smart outlet to try out, which has convinced me to buy more.  It's easy to have the lights turn on and off at certain times, and it's nice to come home to a house that appears to be lived in.

I've thought a lot about using smart home technology to feel safer, or to be more organized, or to have more privacy.  But to welcome myself home, that's new territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment