Monday, August 1, 2016

What's so hard about Sundays?

Sundays defeat me, and I don't know why.  I feel harassed by the state of the house, when ordinarily I like puttering and nesting.  I feel smothered by the constant attention from the animals which other days strikes me as sweet.  I feel aggravated by the undone work which during the week feels like a fun challenge.  I feel listless and tired when this could be my time to get fun things done.  My gardens feel tyrannical and shaming rather than fun.
Hard to believe THIS frustrates me!!!

Yikes. How did I get here?

I'm alone quite a lot.  Surely I don't need more alone time.  And why Sundays and not Saturdays, if the house is the sole problem?  I'm quite sure that it's not that I dread going to work and regret the end of the weekend.  I like going to work; it's the weekend I'm less sure about.

It turns out I'm not the only one who feels this way.  A Swedish study found this to be a common phenomenon, at least across Europe - and they ruled out the "day before the return to work" theory.  These investigators seem to think that we created this day that is supposed to be special - a day of rest and spirituality, and when we assign specialness to an experience we doom it to failure.


But understanding it doesn't fix the problem.  I could turn Sundays into a spa day, but none of the spas are open. I absolutely need to get out of the house.  I should definitely not skip a workout.  I should find a yoga class; Ariana Yoga has a hatha yoga class.  I should go out for coffee.  This is the day I could grocery shop.  Meditating and writing are both helpful.

My office is somewhere off on the right on the second floor


The thing that does NOT help is going to work to get caught up.  Doing that just makes me feel like I'm avoiding the other pieces of my life.  It's not a good scenario.  And yet, I know that I have to go to work next weekend, because I've gotten myself boxed in.  Oh well,  I'll get where I'm going, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment